Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thing 7: Online Communication Tools

Email isn't the newest tool on the block, but I couldn't live without it. Email is invaluable at work. Many in our office work part-time. We need email to stay connected. And besides, I type a lot faster than I can write readable notes!

Email is invaluable at home too. This sounds silly, but I often email my husband and daughters even though we live in the same house. We're rarely all home at the same time and if there's something that I don't want to forget to tell them, I'll send them a quick message. We need email to keep our sports teams organized too. Email ensures that everyone on the team gets the same message in a timely manner without interrupting anything that they were doing.

I appreciate the convenience of Webinars. At work I've participated in several Webinars from Minitex, EBSCO, and software vendors. For Thing 7, I chose a Webinar from the Minitex archives, "Google Personalized Homepage". I had already personalized my homepage with some Google features, but figured I'd learn some new tricks. I wasn't disappointed. The best new thing that I learned was the ability to place a customized search box for Hennepin County Library on my homepage. No more accessing my favorites just to search the library catalog. The Webinar mentioned the ability to create our own customized gadgets. I need to research this because we've got some projects at work that would benefit from this capability.

No comments: