Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

Creating search alerts and either e-mailing or adding the results to my RSS feeds is something that I have done at work. I've found alerts from EBSCO and PubMed (I work in a hospital library) to be beneficial. With Thing 17 I've spent some time re-visiting this idea and have poked around setting up search alerts for personal things. My oldest daughter is in the process of choosing a college. I found some great stuff today in Academic Search Premier.

I also liked the links from InfoTrack to other media, such as NPR in the example in the instructions for this Thing.

I found the Page Composer in EBSCO to be a little clumsy, but workable. The example pages were very well done. I will never use this feature in EBSCO as I work on our organization's intranet and we have much more robust ways of creating web pages.

Following the directions to search ProQuest for "social networking" I found an entertaining article by an 18-year-old in the Washington, D.C. area. She wrote about the new American dream to have a thousand "friends" and lamented that more people didn't click the button to add her to their "friend" list. She had great ideas about activities to do with her "in the flesh" friends! I can hardly wait to get to Thing 20 and create a FaceBook account so that I can see if she'll be my friend.

No comments: