Friday, April 4, 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

What did you find interesting about the wiki concept?
Collaborative work is a great concept. I like the fact that others can have input. Takes the pressure off to do everything perfect. And besides, no one knows it all...

What types of applications within libraries and schools might work well with a wiki?
Perhaps a wiki could work well for the yearbook committee?


Many teachers/faculty "ban" Wikipedia as a source for student research. What do you think of the practice of limiting information by format?
Hmm...I suppose we have to teach students that anybody can put anything on the internet. However, there are many reputable internet sources that I wouldn't want my children to miss. Schools should educate students on the differences and then perhaps dedicate an assignment to Wikipedia.

Learning to find and use books (catalog, table of contents, index, etc.) would never be a waste of time.


Which wiki did you edit?
The 23 Things on Stick wiki.

No comments: