Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thing 2: Library 2.0


We know time is always an issue--Stephen Abram shares some ideas on where to find the time for 23 Things. Where will you find the time?
Steven Abram's comments regarding choosing to learn something new and choosing to control your day hit home for me. Finding time to learn something feels really good. I'm finding time by skipping some other "optional" activity.

I asked for and received Nintendo DS for Christmas. I wanted to try the Brain Age games because I figured they'd be good for me (just like the 23 Things program!). I have enjoyed playing with my Brain Age game as well as working on these 23 Things. It's a bonus that I'm learning things while I'm "playing". Both programs have been fun to talk about with my teenage daughters.


Why are you participating in 23 Things On a Stick? What do you hope to learn?
I am participating because our Department Manager suggested this program for our group. I'm so glad that she did! This program will help me to stay current. I have already learned things that will be beneficial for me both professionally and personally. I'm specifically looking forward to the RSS Thing, the Social Networking Thing, and the Photosharing Thing.

How has the Internet and the vast resource it can be affected your use of time at work and/or at home?
This is a tough one to answer. My job keeps me online all day. Without the internet, I wouldn't have a job. I love my job. My personal use of the internet when I'm at home isn't anything I'm proud of. I can log on to look something up "quickly" and end up loosing track of time for several hours.

Where are you in your knowledge and use of Web 2.0 tools? How about your library?
I've used some of the Things either professionally or personally (RSS, Blog, Wiki, photo sharing, collaboration, podcasts), but I haven't taken the extra step to think deeply about any of these Things.

What are you looking forward to in 23 Things On a Stick?
I think I've covered this one: staying current, learning new things, feeling like I'm controling my day.

No comments: